Thursday, July 12, 2012

Arriving in New York City

We left the Pro Football Hall of Fame and headed toward New York City. Specifically, Brooklyn was our destination and we had road map and GPS in hand. Everything was going smooth as we crossed beautiful Pennsylvania.





Then it got dark and we descended the tree covered mountains into the lights of the Eastern Seaboard. Our camera had died by this point and we were unable to take pictures. The drivers were getting more aggressive and construction cluttered the roads. We tried to follow the directions of the GPS, but we took a wrong turn amidst the chaos. As we got off the Interstate and looked around, we realized that we were not in a good neighborhood. I was determined to get back on the Interstate as soon as possible so I took a side street and realized that I was in a ghetto worse than any I had ever seen, and I had seen many in my home state of California. The sign said East Orange, New Jersey.

After a few turns and a little praying, we made it back to the Interstate and were back on our way when we arrived at a toll booth trying to find the turn we needed to bypass Lower Manhattan. It was not to be. We entered the Holland Tunnel and I did what I could to keep up with traffic. When we exited the tunnel, there was Chinese writing everywhere. We had completely whiffed and I was driving in Chinatown.

While Jenn was trying to make sense of the GPS, I was doing my best to keep us alive because the yellow ones really don't stop! They cut you off and lanes mean nothing in New York City. I drove in circles while we argued over who was the bigger idiot in the car. We finally composed ourselves, found the Brooklyn expressway and were off to the hotel. When we found it, we were not impressed by the location, but we simply wanted to go to sleep and await our first wake up in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment