Thursday, July 12, 2012

New York Public Library

As I have written in the past, I now spend a great deal of time at the library here in New York City. This is quite a change for me as I never once visited the library in Manhattan, KS. That will change upon return, but somehow I managed to steer clear of it for ten years.

The Mid-Manhattan library is where I began to go during the day to read and write. I also figured out that I can order any book I want online and have it delivered there for pick-up. I just walk into the holds room, find my book and check it out. Man I love what technology can do. But, just as I started to think I was in a literary paradise, bad apples ruined it for me. I began to notice that the library is a place for some homeless to clean up, making the bathrooms quite foul from time to time. I have also witnessed a few others lose their cool. Sudden outbursts toward library security and other patrons are not uncommon, usually brought on by asking them to be quiet.

When I first heard these outbursts, I usually observed the situation and then buried my head back in my own computer in order to avoid confrontation. I suppose it wouldn't be any fun if I didn't have my own story though, so here goes...

The fifth floor is generally one of the quieter floors. It houses the History and Social Sciences collections which includes Philosophy, Religion and Biography. When I am not in need of using the Internet (available on fourth floor), I usually go up there to read or write in a more peaceful environment. On each side of the room there are five long tables that can seat about twelve people per table. On this day I was brainstorming and I tend to sit and search my mind for answers when I get stuck. When this happens my eyes wander around the room as if I will find the answer hidden on the walls or perhaps in the faces of the other patrons. I quickly realized this was not a wise thing to do. As I glanced over one gentleman seated five tables away, he glanced at me too. Immediately his arms rose in the air and said, "What's up?" I just shook my head to signal nothing and went back to work. I heard him make another comment or two that I couldn't make out, but I did my best to ignore him.

After ten minutes of ignoring everyone in the room, I got up to find a dictionary. It just so happened that the man was walking around at the same time, and as he walked by me he said, "I'll f*ck you up." I chuckled at my predicament for glancing at someone. At this point, I wasn't really sure what to do, so I ignored him further. Well this wasn't good enough for him because he kept talking to me from across the tables. He yelled out indecipherable jumble, but I was able to figure out that he was calling me a "Cracker" and a "Genius" for whatever reason. Another man chided him, and the wrath changed directions. All of the sudden, this guy was the "Cracker" and would get his "a$$ kicked all over this library." As amusing as I found this to be, I was guessing that reason was not going to work with this guy. I am not one to fear the worst, but you never know who has guns and he was acting like we were still in high school. I decided it was best to just leave the building.

I exited the library with mixed emotions. Part of me wanted to throw the guy out the window, and the other part was happy to be away from trouble. As I collected my thoughts, I decided I would go to the Schwarzman building which is adjacent to the Mid-Manhattan library. I did not know what a treat I was in for.

I walked into the library and immediately noticed the beautiful architecture.

Here is a picture of one set of stairs from the first floor.



This is a major tourist attraction, so there is quite a bit of traffic in this building as evidenced by this picture of the front door, taken from the second floor.



There are phone booths at the end of the hallways that are truly vintage. Check these out:



Little lions are also located throughout the library. I am not sure what they are for, but they appear to be miniature fountains.




The third floor is where I spend most of my time. My main purpose is to come and have a place to write, but there are some attractions that are magnificent. On a subsequent visit I snapped a picture of Jenn next to this statue. It reminds me of her and her journey, as the little girl is walking a tight rope of sorts.




Here are paintings that grace the hallway. The first is one of the few on the wall and the second is on the ceiling.





I walked toward the area where laptops are allowed, and the sign on the wall portrays a little wisdom:




This is the room where I now spend most of my time. It is far from quiet, with tourists coming through constantly and people coming and going all the time, but the scenery is breathtaking. Just take a look at the ceiling above.




Here is a view of the whole room. I feel like an ancient scholar in here:



Some day I will look back on this library and remember what I created in here. But for now it is just as well to enjoy it like a tourist everyday while I do my best to create. This last picture is in front of the library. It speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment