Thursday, July 12, 2012

Children International

Walking around Manhattan has its challenges, and in the short time I have been here, I have learned to stick to a routine. Walk fast, listen to my IPOD and make sure sunglasses are on when outside at all times. The combination of these three tasks keeps me moving fast enough to avoid people panhandling, trying to give me flyers, or just trying to sell some service or product. This has been an adjustment because normally I like to take in my surroundings instead of being buried in my own head. But in New York, if you are in public, you can be interrupted by anyone at anytime, and I have come to realize, that I don't like to be hounded by so many people. I have also noticed that the people who live here generally have ear buds or headphones in their ears and those aforementioned people tend to leave them alone.

So that is the invisible wall I have erected. The sunglasses allow me to take in my surroundings and not appear like a tourist on the surface. It’s not perfect but it works.

The other day I was walking down 23rd St and I was really into what I was listening to. This is one drawback to having headphones as it makes me less aware, and New York is the last place I want to lose my awareness. As I was concentrating, a girl jumped right out in front of me and stuck her hand out. I was completely unprepared for this, but since she was bold, spoke English and had a pleasant smile, I decided to listen to her pitch.

It happened next to Madison Square Park and there was ample shade on the sidewalk, so I removed my sunglasses and unlocked my IPod so I could hear her. She gave me her name and began telling me about Children International. I knew immediately what she wanted to do, but decided to see if she could sell me on it.

I had always wanted sponsor a child for $22 a month from the commercials on TV, but never did for whatever reason. As she was talking, I told myself that I really have no excuses not to do this, so I let her get comfortable explaining the process before I said I would do it. Once I decided that I would sponsor a child, she explained that I could pick any country they have available, or put the money into a general fund. If I chose to pick a specific country, I then had the option to pick a boy or a girl. Furthermore, I had the choice to get updates and to receive letters from the child. I thought that sounded like a neat opportunity as long as the kid wanted an American pen pal. I almost felt like a kid myself as I recalled the time I had a pen pal from another country when I was in the third grade. The countries available were USA, Zambia, Philippines, Mexico, and several other Latin American countries. She explained to me that a good portion of people sponsor US kids and another good many don't like the idea of receiving contact. I did not want the out of sight out of mind experience, so I went ahead and picked the lone African Country, Zambia. I couldn't decide which one, so I thought it would be the most interesting to me to get a letter from Africa. Someone will translate the letter into English and vice-versa if the little boy chooses to write.

While I filled out the paperwork we continued to talk about random things. As it turned out, she was from Seattle and moved to the city with her parents just four months ago (my guess is she is in the 18-20 range because she had faded X’s on the top of her hands which generally denotes an underage bar attendee). We talked about our experiences finding a place and she said that her parents found a place on Craigslist, looked at the apartment, and decided they would take it. They paid the customary deposit, first and last month’s rent and awaited their move-in date. The landlord pushed the date back several times and eventually her parents got fed up with him and requested their money back. When this time came, the “landlord” refused to answer calls and now they have to spend time and money on legal action. It is disconcerting to know that people exist like this, but they do.

After she told me this story, she asked what I do and I explained what Jenn and I are were doing in New York. Once I mentioned that I am working on becoming a published writer, she told me that she had always wanted to write as she has a troubled past. My light went off and I told her to go for it. I explained that it is hard, but everyone has to start somewhere, why not now? She told me I inspired her to give writing a try.

One of the best feelings a person can experience is when they see that they have truly helped another person. I left this transaction feeling great that I possibly helped two, and they both had a positive influence on me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment