Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ground Zero, 9/11

Visiting Ground Zero on September 11 was something we weren't sure we were going to do as recently as the night before. I had planned on going to Ground Zero from the day I decided to blog about our trip, and I wanted to do it on 9/11, however, recent news of Qur'an burnings, along with overall nervousness almost prevented us from going. But in the end, Jenn said she would go with me; so I felt it was my duty as an American, a writer, and new resident of the city to go experience it on its ninth anniversary. I mean how often does one get to visit an historical site like this?

We stepped off the R train at Cortlandt St, exited the Subway, and determined where we were. There were cranes as well as signs pointing us toward the World Trade Center site. Yet, there was a police officer there telling the crowd they could not go this way. "Families only," was the reply. So, we followed the herd around the block to get a closer look. We couldn't really see a whole lot except for the cranes, a few signs and a shoulder to shoulder crowd containing folks of many colors, races, and religions (judging by the attire).





On this day, however, it wasn't what my eyes saw that moved me. It was the feeling in the air and the sounds my ears were able to hear. There were family members reading names of their loved ones in tribute. This along with the peaceful calm of the moment moved my spirit. I felt the sadness and the mourning of the thousands present. Once there were no more names to be read, Taps began playing. Taps is usually played on military installations late at night as a signal for lights out, as well as at military funerals. When I was in the military, I witnessed several burials while on funeral detail. Taps was played at each one, so naturally I associate the song with funerals. It is because of this when I heard it being played at Ground Zero, I had to fight back tears.

I imagined that there would be lots of police and there were. They were on the street, on rooftops, and even chilling in their vehicles, guarding the multiple blockades.





Someone even brought a painted mural depicting the tragedy.




Once we had seen and felt enough, we decided we wanted to see Wall Street as it was a couple of blocks away. And there awaited a beautiful sight only to be found in New York City: a giant American flag draped in front of the New York Stock Exchange.



A statue of George Washington stood tall commemorating our first president and Revolutionary War hero.



As you can see we were in patriotic and sentimental mode so we walked back to Ground Zero and it was very silent compared to before. A Mennonite choir began singing and their peaceful voices calmed the air.



Then, off in the distance, we heard chanting. It sounded like it could be a protest or some type of mass revival. My first thought was it would certainly have something to do with the proposed mosque, but I was mistaken. We turned the corner and saw this:



My first reaction was curiosity, especially when reading a sign claiming Bin Laden was framed. I wanted to see who these people were and the signs told the story.




Wearetruth.org and ae911truth.org (ae stands for architects and engineers) were displayed on the signs. Both groups are heavy supporters of opening up an investigation on 9/11. They claim they have proof that at least WTC 7, and most likely all three buildings, were brought down demolition style.

As we approached the march, the chant became clear: "BUSH BROUGHT DOWN THE TOWERS!"
The march continued around the block onto Broadway and kept going toward uptown. Before they were out of our sight, another chant emerged: "911 TRUTH!"



Being there on this day is something I will never forget and will always cherish. I can only imagine the horror and the sacrifice that went on there a mere 9 years earlier. One can tune in and feel the pain and anguish still felt by the people. As for the truth, many died here at the hands of murderers advancing their own agenda, while a nation and perhaps a world was changed overnight. Beyond that, I imagine the truth is deeper than most of us can fathom.

No comments:

Post a Comment